Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dude, where's my son?

this picture has nothing to do with this post, but I think this picture is adorable because if you have ever tried to sleep with a small child you have probably experienced their ability to take up the entire bed despite their tiny size, and yet in this pic my son's doll seems to be hogging the bed while my son sleeps 'on the wall'--now what do they say, paybacks a ??
It has been many days since I have confessed--too many to remember. But today while visiting The parenting Myth and reading this article I was reminded of a very very bad thing that occurred when my son was a young infant. I can't believe that I had forgotten about this horrible thing that occurred, I am sure this memory has been suppressed because of the agonizing guilt it causes. Never the less I have come to confess this sin so that hopefully I can be forgiven and move on and know that it will never happen again.

We use to live in Utah, we live in a 3 level town home and my brother lived on the first level (sleeping in the front room, using the coat closet as his closet) and a co-worker of mine lived on the 3rd level, we occupied the middle level. I worked at a nursing home, I can't remember how old my son was but I know that I quit working there when my son was 6 months old so this happened in his first 6 months of life. I had to be to work at 6 am, my husband didn't have to be to work till 8 am so he was in charge of taking the baby to the sitter--so therefore I could blame it on my husband.

As mom, I was in charge of arranging childcare, and then my husband took the baby to who was suppose to be watching him. I don't remember who exactly was suppose to watch the baby, all I know is that luckily we lived with other more responsible house mates because to my horror and shock our system failed us when I forgot to tell my husband we had a new sitter to watch our son.

My husband assumed (remember what happens when you assume) that our upstairs house mate was suppose to watch our son, unfortunately I had remembered to tell her that I found a new sitter. Now this is where I could blame it all on my husband rather than admit that the communication error started with me--my husband had always woken up our housemate to let her know that he was going to work and that she was watching the baby, but since the baby was still asleep he decided she should get some extra sleep so he snuck out the house without saying a word to her, the baby sleeping in his crib, that was about 7 am or whenever he left for work.

When I got home I found a very frantic housemate who was very happy to see me but not so happy to be caring for my son. She informed me that since she was unaware that we had left she thought one of us was caring for the baby so when she woke up to hear him crying in his crib she tried to ignore him, as the screaming got louder she finally admitted curiosity got the better of her (luckily) and she went to investigate what we where doing to the poor baby, that is when she discovered (may I point out, she didn't wake up till 10 am, so this was a couple hours after my husband went to work) that our poor baby was all alone. Knowing that we would never abandon our son she quickly got to work comforting him and caring for him, but she confessed it took at least an hour to finally get him to calm down and that he was hoarse from all the screaming.


Now, one can only imagine that when my husband got home we had probably one of the hugest fights we have ever had (and we have had some doosies) and that is when it was discovered that had it not been for me forgetting to inform my dear loving husband and about the new babysitting arrangements our son would have never been left home unsupervised. I know that this wasn't the first time I had forgotten to inform my husband about babysitting arrangements, I believe he took my son to the wrong sitter (who kept him thinking she had forgotten) either the day before she was to be induced to have her son or a few days after her son was born (our children are only a month and a half apart in age), either way when tried to check on my son at the new sitter only to discover they didn't have him i remember panicking because I had no idea who had my baby--it was pure dumb luck I was able to find my friend had him.

I have always been the first to admit that I have a horrible memory, and my husband has learned, because of this, to never assume and to always ask me who will be watching our son in advance, because you can only make this mistake a couple times before the state gets involved. To be truthfully honest, I find it rather ironic that I forgot about these mistakes, when they happened I swore the guilt would forever haunt me so the point that I forgot must me 1 of 2 things: either I have way worse things to feel guilty of or my memory is worse than even I could imagine.

Have you ever forgotten to inform your significant other of a rather important change in your schedules? Or have you ever left a child somewhere it wasn't suppose to be left? If so please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment